Estero Fire Rescue is joining forces with other Lee County fire districts to offer free Carbon Monoxide detectors to residents in need. According to the National Safety Council, each year between 200 and 300 deaths occur each year due to carbon monoxide poisoning, with a majority of these including the use of generators and charcoal grills used for warmth and light during power outages caused by major storms.
Residents in need may receive one free carbon monoxide detector as well as an information packet for the homeowner that will include the following:
- Introduction letter to the resident on the importance of working alarms in the home
- Pamphlet from UL regarding frequently asked questions about CO and CO Alarms
- Tips on Generator Safety
- Installation and use directions for alarms
Residents must be qualified and will need to provide proof of residence and complete/sign an agreement for their use. Complete and detailed directions will be included with each packet for your convenience. Estero Fire Rescue also provides free installation of Carbon Monoxide or smoke detectors for any district resident in need.
To learn more about the Estero Fire Rescue’s free detector program, contact Susan Lindenmuth, Public Relations Manager at 239-390-8000.